Week 1

 

Week 1 Learning Journal Entry

Module: Introduction to Algorithms and Fundamental Data Structures Date: January 13, 2026

This week, I focused on the formal definition of algorithms and the various ways to measure their efficiency. I studied Euclid’s algorithm for finding the Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) and compared it to the consecutive integer checking algorithm, noting how algorithm choice significantly impacts performance.

I also reviewed fundamental data structures, specifically focusing on graph representations (adjacency matrices vs. adjacency lists) and how they differ for weighted and unweighted graphs. Implementing the Palindrome puzzle was a great exercise in string manipulation; it taught me how to effectively use the two-pointer technique and the importance of data preprocessing, such as filtering non-alphanumeric characters and normalizing case to ensure logical correctness. Finally, the "Fake Coin" and "Mislabeled Baskets" puzzles served as a strong introduction to algorithmic logic and decision-making processes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4

Week 2